Wow! 50 days have already passed since I decided to buy nothing for a year. So how am I going?
How did I do it? It’s been really easy actually. Here’s the secret…
Don’t go into any shops!
The best way to resist temptation is to avoid it in the first place. This has been easy for me because I work in the city and buy my food from markets or very small shops. While I do walk past shops every day, I have no reason to actually go into one.
I did go to a community fête a few weeks back and found myself eyeing off stall after stall of stuff. I had to remind myself to look but not touch. This actually made me spend much less time looking – time that I spent talking with my friends instead.
Now, I did say that this was about clutter and the environment, not about money and so I will actually try to Acquire Nothing.
This is proving much more difficult. It’s amazing how easily free stuff creeps into my life even though I managed to say no to most of it! And yet, I have acquired:
- a book
- a CD with software on it
- 3 jigsaw puzzles (I’m pretty sure they used to be mine before I gave them to mum, and now she’s given them to me – does this count?)
- an ice cream container to use as a food scrap bin for the worm farm (it replaces one the dog chewed up when I left it outside one day)
- a piece of furniture… literally a piece – it’s one part of a wall unit that had been at my parents’ house while I had the rest
- a pen, sent to me as a ‘gift’ from a charity I’d donated to (I’ll be returning it to them)
- a toy dinosaur that had come in a cocktail I ordered at a friend’s birthday party. I gave the dinosaur to the birthday girl but then she gifted it back (it’s my favourite dinosaur and it makes me so happy).
Perhaps it’s not the longest list, but it does show how easy it is for stuff to enter our lives unintentionally and often unnoticed. I think this might need to be the focus for the next 50 days of Buy Nothing Year.
I’d love to hear from you.
What do you think would be more difficult, giving up shipping or giving up free stuff?